Found a bug on the website? Want to help with development? Or maybe you just want to find out how everything here works? Head over to the pointercrate GitHub repository!
Even our Geometry Dash integration, dash-rs, can be found there!
A lot has happened since the last serious update to pointercrate. While I am writing this, I am studying abroad in Ohio. By the end of the year, I'll be attending grad school in England. These undertakings require money, money I do not have. This is why I recently started putting put ads on pointercrate, with 100% of revenue going into my tuition fund.
But beyond that, I also have a very exciting new feature to share: Pointercrate's own WayBackMachine! It is now possible to view old versions of the demon list going back to 2017-08-05 (I sadly do not have data from most of the 'blue' era, as paqoe calls it, or the forum days). This was definitely one of the most requested features, so I am very happy to announce its implementation (and it going live on pointercrate's 4th anniversary is quite fitting).
Note that for now, past versions of the stats viewer are not available. This is definitely planned, though.
Keeping up with the tradition of updating this part of the website precisely once a year, I find myself not really able to report about a major update at all. While there were some quite significant changes made to pointercrate this year, they were mostly internal, or not available to the public. Which is why I am using this entry to just quickly summarize the few things that did change this year
async/await mechanics. At the same time, the entire database layer was rewritten.
Some of these changes will bring improvements to the public facing parts of pointercrate soon hopefully. Mainly, there are plans to overhault the record submitters using some of the UI components that have been developed for the internal management interface. A completely list of planned featured can also be found on this trello board.
The entire website has been rewritten in Rust! Various minor bugs that were noticed while porting over from the old python backend were fixed and performance has greatly improved. Other than that, it's mostly an internal change, so the list of (visible) changes is rather short:
state parameter for demons anymore and
player.beaten has become the more general
Now onto some more serious topics: As some of you might know, I took up a second undergrad course (mathematics) in october, meaning my university schedule became much more demanding, leaving me nearly no time to work on pointercrate. Development on discord bots related to pointercrate and the Demonlist has already been taken over by GunnerBones, and with pointercrate becoming open source, I'm hoping to find more people will to work on it.
Its been one year since I rented the pointercrate domain and started hosting the Demonlist! Today I'm happy to announce the official pointercrate API, which can be used to programmatically access the Demonlist. The documentation can be found here. Further minor changes include:
Pointercrate's design has been completely overhauled, to fix various issues we had with the old version:
Most of these issues arose because the old version was not designed with mobile in mind, and mobile support was 'hacked in' later. The new design uses a mobile-first approach and should be a lot more responsive.
The demonlist is managed by a large team of players lead by:
Contact these people for any list related questions/issuesTwitter: demonlistgd
Pointercrate as an entity independent from the Demonlist is administrated and moderated by the following people:
Contact these people for suggestion for pointercrate itself, bug reports or programming related questionsTwitter: stadust - pointercrate